A hydraulic jack is a device that is used to lift heavy loads by applying a force via a hydraulic cylinder. Hydraulic jacks lift loads using the force created by the pressure in the cylinder chamber. Hydraulic jacks are typically used for shop work, rather than as an emergency jack to be carried with the vehicle. The use of jacks not designed for a specific vehicle requires more than the usual care in selecting ground conditions.
The jacking point on a vehicle, and to ensure stability when the jack is extended. Hydraulic jacks are often used to lift elevators in low and medium-rise buildings.
A jack is a mechanical lifting device used to apply great forces or lift heavy loads. A mechanical jack employs a screw thread for lifting heavy equipment. A hydraulic jack uses hydraulic power. The most common form is a car jack, floor jack or garage jack, which lifts vehicles so that maintenance can be performed.
HOW HYDRAULIC JACKS WORK
A hydraulic jack creates pressure by moving oil through two cylinders via a pump plunger. The pump plunger is drawn back, which opens the suction valve and draws oil into the pump chamber. As the plunger is pushed down, the oil is transported through an external discharge valve and into the cylinder chamber. The suction valve then closes, resulting in pressure being built up within the chamber; causing the piston in the chamber to rise and lift your heavy object. This process can be repeated many times, allowing your load to be lifted higher, and higher.
TYPES OF HYDRAULIC JACK
Two common types of hydraulic car jacks include bottle jacks and floor jacks.
- Bottle Jacks;-
- Bottle jacks became popular in the early 1900s when the automobile industry began to take off. Also called hand jacks, bottle jacks provided an easy way for an individual to lift a vehicle for roadside inspection or service. The design of the hydraulic bottle jack resembles a milk bottle, thus earning bottle jacks their name—today, they range in size and lifting capability from one hundred pounds to several tons. How does a bottle jack work? Bottle jacks feature a vertical shaft, which supports a platform (called a bearing pad) that directly bears the weight of the object as it is lifted.
- Floor Jacks;-
- Unlike bottle jack shafts which operate vertically, the shaft in a floor jack is horizontal—the shaft pushes on a crank that connects to a lifting pad, which is then lifted vertically. Floor jacks typically provide a greater range of vertical lift than bottle jacks and are available in two sizes. The original jack is about four feet long, a foot wide, and weighs around 200 pounds—they can lift 4-10 tons. A more compact model was later made, which is about three feet in length and can lift 11/2 tons. Although “mini jacks” are also produced, they are not a recognized standard type of floor jack. Typically, one of the first two sizes should be used.
APPLICATION OF HYDRAULIC JACK
- The following are some applications of Hydraulic jack.
- Lifting a car or any other vehicle for changing its tires.
- To lift heavy loads in industries.
- Cranes are fitted with Hydraulic jacks to lift a load.
- They are used in lifting platforms.
- They are used in material handling equipment.
- They are used in earth moving equipment.
ADVANTAGES OF HYDRAULIC JACK
- It occupies less space. It is easier to use.
- It lifts loads with the minimum of effort.
- It is a bit lighter than screw jacks.
- It is highly effective with heavy loads.
- They are also less likely to jam due to rust in the screw thread.
DISADVANTAGES OF HYDRAULIC JACK
- It has a relatively slow speed.
- It can overheat fairly quickly.
- A hydraulic oil leak can cause soil and water pollution.
- It is susceptible to failure if the oil seals are worn out, this can cause serious problems.
- Hydraulic oil can emit an unpleasant odor when becoming too warm due to overuse.
SCOPE FOR FUTURE WORK;-
The arrangement of an inbuilt hydraulic jack system is designed for heavy loaded trucks in this project work, but this arrangement can be widely used in the future for heavy vehicles also by making some small modifications in the current project.
- A hydraulic jack is a device used to carry large loads with the application of small force.
- Maintenance and service of the vehicle can be easily done by this project. With this project, the usage of an automobile can be made easy for women and old people.
- The inbuilt jack is operated by battery so it can also be used when the vehicle engine is not started.
- The arrangement is also very useful for heavy loading vehicles and a single person can go on a long drive.
IN CASE KIND OF PROJECTS
All of the above; If this article is not working for you. So you can contact with the subject of your specific project. And we will lead you, to get that kind of project as soon as possible. If in case you are feeling to buy a project for HYDRAULIC JACK; simply contact us. And for your convenience; that we provide all BTech mechanical engineering BTech final year.
Note;- Don’t forget to check our computer science engineering projects list…